BLEASDALE VINEYARD Frank Potts Cabernet Blend, Langhorne Creek
Bleasdale, the first winery in Langhorne Creek (1850), celebrates founder Frank Potts with this ‘Flagship Series’ Cabernet-led blend filled out with Malbec and some or all of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, depending on the vintage. The wine typically has aromas of red berry and darker fruits with plum, violet and black olive notes.
These characters continue on to the palate supported by nutty, spicy oak plus a hint of vanilla. Components are de-stemmed and crushed to open fermenters with the Malbec fermented as whole berries. After up to 14 days on skins post-fermentation the wine is transferred to French oak puncheons and hogsheads (about 30% new) for 12 months maturation.
Vines were first planted in Langhorne Creek, south of Adelaide, by Frank Potts soon after the establishment of Bleasdale in 1850. The region is a large, broad, sparsely-populated plain watered by the Bremer and Angas rivers. It was named after Alfred Langhorne, a drover who crossed the Bremer River at a place that became known as Langhorne's Crossing. The name evolved to become Langhorne Creek. A cool, maritime region with deep, fertile, alluvial soils, Langhorne Creek is best known for medium to full bodied red wines made, in particular, from shiraz, cabernet sauvignon and malbec. Reliable quality and volume has made it a favoured source for major producers and much of the region’s large crop goes to make wines that are not specifically identified with the region.