Château La Conseillante, Pomerol
The vineyard benefits from a unique clay-dominated terroir and is planted to 80% Merlot which brings roundness, fullness and sweetness. The remaining 20% (in Graves) is planted to Cabernet Franc which brings structure and freshness to the blend.
From vine to winery, La Conseillante uses organic practices, or lutte raisonnée, controlled yields, strict sorting and replanting to optimise the opulence and elegance of the finished wine.
The Nicolas family bought the domain in 1871. The Château is managed by the fifth generation of the Nicolas family. Bertrand Nicolas and Jean-Valmy Nicolas are co-managers of La Conseillante. Marielle Cazaux is the Director.
'The 2016 La Conseillante is a brilliant wine from the team led by Technical Director Marielle Cazaux. Polished and sophisticated, the 2016 possesses stunning vertical lift, with soaring aromatics that make a strong first impression. Silky and seductive on the palate, the 2016 is all about precision and energy in the early going. It is also one of the most quite, soft-spoken Pomerols of the vintage. Hints of blackberry, lavender, licorice and spice add nuance, but in 2016 La Conseillante stands out for its sublime balance and total sense of harmony. The 2016 spent 17 months in oak, 70% new. As gorgeous as the 2016 is, my impression is that the best is yet to come. Since arriving at La Conseillante, Cazaux has changed much in the farming of the property, including introducing cover crops and limiting yields. She also now works with no sulfites in winemaking and opts for lower temperatures in fermentation. In other words, the full results of all of that work is yet to be seen. For now, though, the 2016 Conseillante is a pretty special wine. Don't miss it. Tasted two times. 2026-2041'
97 Points, Antonio Galloni
"The 2016 La Conseillante has been on a roll since winemaker Marielle Cazaux took over the running of the estate. It has a very well defined, almost crystalline bouquet of discreet but sophisticated blackberry, briar, mineral and light floral notes. Over the course of 20 minutes, it reveals more plum-like scents and a hint of a cold northern sea. The medium-bodied palate offers crisp tannin, good balance, a silky-smooth texture and a poised and quite linear, classically inspired finish. There are subtle flecks of dark chocolate on the aftertaste. This is a surprisingly understated La Conseillante that will repay long-term cellaring. 2022-2045"
97 Points, Vinous
Bottled in June of 2018, the 2016 Château La Conseillante is a beautifully seamless yet powerful version of this cuvée that has the hallmark fragrance and elegance of the estate front and center. Complex blackberries, cassis, flowers, incense, forest floor, and floral notes all soar from this full-bodied, pure, and polished Pomerol that has an undeniable class as well as wonderful purity of fruit, perfect integration of its tannins and acidity, and a blockbuster finish. It’s an incredibly complete wine that flirts with perfection and will keep for 30-40 years. The blend is 80% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc, aged in 70% new French oak, with the balance in once-used barrels. There are less than 4,000 cases made, but this is a wine you want in your cellar.
99 points, jebdunnuck.com (February 2019)
Pomerol, on the Right Bank of Bordeaux’s Gironde River, produces some of the world’s most sought-after wines, including those from such storied properties as Chateau Petrus. Yet Pomerol, the smallest of the fine-wine-producing districts of Bordeaux, offers no Grand Cru or Premier Cru wines: It’s the most significant Bordeaux appellation not included in any quality ranking. At the time of the historic 1855 Classification of Bordeaux, Right Bank chateaux were considered remote and difficult to travel to, and so were ignored by the merchants who created the classification. (St. Émilion, a notable neighbour on the Right Bank, created its own classification system in 1954.)
Pomerol has managed to do quite well without this form of validation. Pomerol’s predominantly clay soil is ideally suited for Merlot, the primary grape used in the appellation. Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon are also included in Pomerol’s blended red wines. The wines of Pomerol are lush and rich, and generally not as tannic as the Cabernet-based wines of Bordeaux’s Left Bank. Although Pomerol’s very best wines are capable of aging for decades, most are made for immediate consumption. These Merlot-based wines are known for their lush texture, elegance and grace, as well as the softer tannins they offer in comparison to the Cabernet Sauvignon-based wines made elsewhere in Bordeaux.